Wednesday, October 05, 2005

To My Friends...

“I’ve been feeling very alone in the world,” I typed into the body of the email form before clicking send. It’s been over a month since I’ve seen any of my friends from back home in Brooklyn and in NOVA. Surely, we’ve all been very busy and I’ve allowed myself to become overly pre-occupied with work. I’m sure they have as well. But every now and then, I try to take the time to remind those people in my life how grateful I am for them. I fear that I haven’t done a very good job as of late…

As I scanned over the 700+ emails that filled my inbox – emails that I still haven’t gotten around to checking since I’ve gotten out of the hospital – I realized just how many people I’ve been fortunate enough to call friends over the years. Some, I haven’t seen in months. Others, I haven’t seen in years. Nevertheless, in spite of how many days stretch between us, I’ve continued to hold them in high esteem. I’ve never stopped to consider whether or not the friendship remains in the long silences between our communications. For me, it always has.

And it got me thinking. What is a friend? By definition, it’s someone you can turn to, who can shed light on dark areas in your life, who is there for you in your time of need, and who knows your heart. But I also think it’s someone you can go weeks or months or even years without speaking to and still retain a deep enough level of friendship that you can just pick up again at a moment’s notice. I hope I’m not mistaken. I probably haven’t been the best friend these days… but I haven’t given up.

Today I thanked God for you. I thought I’d tell you that. I hope this hasn’t come too late...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To my DLS...

Always and forever will be the love I have for you

Anonymous said...

nan,
i think you're exactly right about true friendship---it can remain strong despite distance and time. I am just grateful that you're both nearby and a newly-active part of my life.
with love,
eliz

Unknown said...

Friendship is exactly what you have from what you wrote and hope they continue to surround you.

Anonymous said...

llo there cutest midget! I have not forgotten you, forgotten myself almost at times lately, but not you

Anonymous said...

Nan...no matter how much time goes by that we don't see one another or speak to one another, I love you and I will always be here for you if you reach out for me. Always. Don't feel guilty about letting things like this slip, silly. Friends will always understand and will wait for the bridge to be gapped eventually. I miss you and love you to pieces.

Anonymous said...

aww nan thanksss u are the best