Monday, May 30, 2005

Footing the Bill

As the saying goes: "If the shoe fits, wear it." So today, after much resistance, I reluctantly strapped on my new beige sandals that I swore I'd burn before I'd ever wear again and stepped out for the first time this weekend. You see, this is how girls are, we search and search for the perfect shoes - much in the way we do for the Perfect Man - and then, we succumb to the sad reality that they do not exist - or that they are not all they were cracked up to be - and end up paying dearly for our inadequate misjudgment. In the case of my beige strappy sandals, my pinky toe bore most of the burden.

So today, in my most uncomfortable new addition to the corner of the closet set aside for the shoes I'll most likely never wear again, I set out to not one, not two, but THREE shopping malls in search of the next "great pair." Now, this is not to say that I did so blindly. I, of course, had M to lead my way – and, much like my stance on relationships, I knew exactly what I was looking for.

My love affair with these shoes started much in the way of old time movies. They caught my eye a while back and I was filled with deep regret after having walked away from them. So for the past three days, M and I set out on a state-wide manhunt (shoe hunt) in search of the Steve Maddens that had captured my heart not too long ago.

With so many desperate singles turning to the Internet for hope, why did we not try the computer before we decided to set out on such a long and hard fought journey –in stiletto heels?

To make a long story short, after trekking across Fair Oaks, Tyson's Corner, and Dulles Malls, M and I resigned to her parent's house where we undertook a world-wide (Web) search for the shoes that had eluded us all weekend. And there we found them. They were, of course, at a much higher price, but I suppose there is a high price for everything in life.

Today, my feet paid mostly.

No comments: